Sunday, March 13, 2011

Shouldn't All Recipes Be Good Recipes?

Today turned out to truly be a day of rest.  I wound up taking a nap for about 2 hours this afternoon.

I had planned on making my star block for the "One Star Challenge' for the Quilts of Valor program, but alas the "sand man" took over.

I picked out the fabrics last night that I'm going to use.     
 


When I got home from church this afternoon I cooked the chicken pot pie for lunch.    It doesn't look that good in the pic, but it turned out pretty good.  Good enough to save the left overs.





After church this evening, I decided I wanted something sweet to eat.  So I decided to follow a recipe for a coffee cake.   I had everything I needed in the pantry and it didn't take a long time to cook... or so I thought.

I followed the recipe to a "T",  but there are times you come across a recipe that just doesn't work out.  I wound up throwing out half of the cake.  

In the recipe it said to cook for 20 minutes at 300°F.   I did.  

It was not done in 20 minutes.  As a matter of fact I wound up cooking it for 40 minutes.  

Then after eating a slice, I decided I did not care for the recipe.  I asked my husband and kids their opinions and they agreed.  It wasn't awful but it wasn't delicious either.   So a frowned face gets marked on that recipe page.  >(   

This "not so good" recipe was not from my vintage cookbook set.

Have you ever tried a recipe that didn't turn out?  I mean, followed it to a "T" and not tweaking it?   I was surprised that this one didn't turn out.   That usually happens when I don't follow the recipe!  

****************************************************
My Goal this week...
I actually have two goals for this week.

1.   Make the star block for the Quilts of Valor and mail it out.
2. Finish the afghan I started (pattern on Crochet tab) and mail to Project Linus.

****************************************************
Microsoft clip art




To check out the Giveaways Tab at the top and enter.  :)







 ****************************************************
In Closing..

Stand fast in the Lord.   Philippians 4:1

God bless and keep you,
Sonia 

6 comments:

  1. It really is a let down when you are expecting something tasty and it turns out to be a flop. I've had a couple of those too. Good for you to use the day of rest as an actual day of rest. We all need those sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah it was a let down, but lesson learned. :)

    It's raining here and would love to be home working on my craft projects. :)

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I've had recipes that didn't turn out well. I try to look it as I'm just that much closer to a good recipe :-) I'm working on my star also. I hope to mail it tomorrow :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's why I mark the recipes with either a smiley face or a frowney face... That way in the future I know which ones to use. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read an article about that there are so many recipes out there even in cookboooks that are never tested in real life. Crazy right?! I'm glad you enjoyed your chicken pot pie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. yeah... I think you are right. I'm glad I tasted that coffee cake before I posted the recipe. I would hate to think I passed that one on. :)

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments. :)

Beauty of Giving

www.youravon.com/sparham