Saturday, January 21, 2012

Then it happened...

Wow, how time flies when you aren't looking.

I took off sewing this morning and before I knew it, it was 2:00 pm and David was saying lunch was ready.

Here's what I got done during that time.  This will be one of the lap quilts for the Logan County PieceMakers.  It measures 40"x40".




Then after I ate my lunch, I decided to try my serger out.

When I opened the box, took the top styrofoam piece out and the plastic bag off the machine, I was pleasantly surprised it was already threaded.

Thank You Lord!

I had some patriotic triangles, I decided to serge together, just to get a feel of how this thing was going work.   It went well.   SWEET!, I thought, as the fabric flew under the presser foot. 

Then it happened...

I ended my stitch, raised the presser foot, then began to pull my piece off the machine...   the thread doesn't release and pull free, like it does on a regular sewing machine.

I messed the threading up, wouldn't you know.

So... I got a crash coarse on how to thread the serger.  I'm happy to report it is threaded correctly, once again, and in good working order.   I learned my lesson, and will do my best not to let that happen again.




Here's my first serged item.

Isn't the seam pretty?  :)










I went ahead and stitched up a big pinwheel block, 20" x 20".
 
This will most likely be part of another lap quilt.







++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

WEEKLY RECIPE

On the way home from Fort Smith, this evening, I realized I haven't posted the weekly recipe.  Then I realized, or at least thought, I haven't cooked all week.   I think, David has done most of the cooking or we have eaten out.   So, I'm sharing a recipe that I planned on making this week, but didn't get around to it.  It most likely will be one of the meals for next week.

Salsa Chicken Rice Casserole
by Gweneth
photo by Rock_lobster
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/salsa-chicken-rice-casserole/detail.aspx


Ingredients

  • 1 1/3 cups uncooked white rice
  • 2 2/3 cups water
  • 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
  • 2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
  • 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
  • 1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup
  • 1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1 1/2 cups mild salsa
  1. Place rice and water in a saucepan, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes.
  2. Meanwhile, place chicken breast halves into a large saucepan, and fill the pan with water. Bring to a boil, and cook for 20 minutes, or until done. Remove chicken from water. When cool enough to handle, cut meat into bite-size pieces.
  3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a 9x13 inch baking dish.
  4. In a medium bowl, combine Monterey Jack and Cheddar cheeses. In a separate bowl, mix together cream of chicken soup, cream of mushroom soup, onion, and salsa. Layer 1/2 of the rice, 1/2 of the chicken, 1/2 of the soup and salsa mixture, and 1/2 of the cheese mixture in prepared dish. Repeat layers, ending with cheese.
  5. Bake in preheated oven for about 40 minutes, or until bubbly. 
 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
PIECES, PATCHES
by Sonia R. Parham, 2002


Planning, cutting, sewing stitch by stitch.
A puzzle, artwork, I've found my niche.
Pieces, patches of every hue,
Let me sew a quilt for you.
A story can be spun and told, 
in colors pastel or bold.
In another world, I do dwell, 
When needle and thread I do wield.


+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++


Have a wonderful Sunday!


God bless and keep you,
Sonia

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Jennifer. I plan to cook this week, since I didn't get around to it last week. If you try it out, let me know what you think. :)

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments. :)

Beauty of Giving

www.youravon.com/sparham