Friday, September 16, 2011

Cabbage Patch Stew...

Today, was wet with a slow light rain and highs in the 60's.   Certainly made my autumn fever, more intense.  :)

I'm sipping on my first cup of hot chocolate, since the last winter months.   It is yummy!

I worked on my autumn wall hanging this evening and got half of the top done.   It will be a small wall hanging for my cubicle at work.  I hope to have pics to post tomorrow.


I hope to start posting a block of the month in October.   I am waiting on approval from the designer of the blocks I want to use.  If I don't get approval, I will search for another avenue.   Possibly a mystery quilt pattern... that could prove interesting.  :)



++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

WEEKLY RECIPE

This week's recipe is called Cabbage Patch Stew.  I received this recipe from my Aunt Ree.  This is a hearty and delicious soup for cool days.  Cornbread fritters go well with it.  
 
Cabbage Patch Stew
1 pound ground chuck
2 medium onions, thinly sliced
1 1/2 cups cabbage, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup diced celery
1 can (15.5 oz) kidney beans (can substitute with pinto or ranch style)
1 can (16 oz) stewed tomatoes
1 cup water
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 to 2 teaspoons chili powder

Cook and stir ground chuck in dutch oven until lightly brown, drain, add onion, cabbage and celery.  Cook and stir until vegetables are light brown.  Stir in tomatoes, kidney beans (with liquid), water and seasonings.   Heat to boiling, reduce heat and simmer for 45 minutes.    Makes 4-6 servings.



+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

TODAY'S QUESTION

What is something you couldn't live without?  Why?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

JUST SOMETHING TO SHARE...

Therefore I live for today - 
Certain of finding at sunrise
Guidance and strength for the way.


Power for each moment of weakness, 
Hope for each moment of pain, 
Comfort for every sorrow, 
Sunshine and joy after rain!

~Anonymous


That is my hope for you this weekend.   Have a great weekend!

God bless and keep you,
Sonia


My answer to the last question:  Right before I fall asleep, I am usually talking to my Heavenly Father, thanking Him for the day and blessings, asking for protection and peace over my family and friends, and for forgiveness of my short comings during the day.

4 comments:

  1. I love these lower temps right now, too, but haven't made hot chocolate yet. But I like that idea. Look forward to seeing your wall hanging.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't live without books. I've had a book in my hands since BEFORE I could read. I'm usually reading several books at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Cheryl! I can relate. I am usually in more than one book at a time too. :)

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments. :)

Beauty of Giving

www.youravon.com/sparham