Friday, October 7, 2011

It's been ages...

Hello all... it seems like it's been ages since I last blogged.  LOL

I know it's only been 5 days... but that is 4 days longer than normal.    I have just been wore out and kind of down... think I may be trying to come down with a bug or something.  I'm really trying not to, though.

My Internet service was down all day/night yesterday, and boy did I have a lot of emails... a bunch of them went to the trash bin or spam.

I plan to post the first Block of the Month on Monday, 10/10/11.    I hope you join in.  I think it will be fun to see the different blocks that each of you make.

I've been saving up used dryer sheets to use for some applique pieces I need to add to the quilt I've been working on.   I think I finally have enough to use. 

This is a great way to recycle and it makes applique easy.   
Here's what you do...
  1. Iron you dryer sheet.  Do not iron directly on the dryer sheet, place the dryer sheet under a dishtowel, so that it won't melt or stick to your iron.
  2. Once your dryer sheet is ironed, place it on top of the right side of your applique fabric.
  3. Stitch with a 1/4" seam all the way around your applique shape.
  4. Cut an opening in the middle of the dryer sheet, being careful not to cut your applique fabric.
  5. Turn the piece inside out, so that the applique fabric is showing and the dryer sheet is on the bottom.  This will give you a clean, turned under edge.  Now you can stitch your applique piece to the project you're working on.
 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
WEEKLY RECIPE with a Bonus


My weekly recipe is a Crockpot Dump Cake, I made it today.   Last night, I made what I call fried apples, for my daughter.  She was wanting something for desert.    I think I like the fried apple desert better than the crockpot dump cake, though both were good.  I just liked the simpler one this week.  :)
 
 
Crockpot Dump Cake (see the recipe and more at the link below)

1 (21 oz) can of fruit pie filling (I used blueberry)
1 package of yellow or white cake mix
8 tablespoons of butter, cut up
1/2 cup chopped pecans

Rub crockpot with some of the butter. Pour in the pie filling.  Mix the dry cake mix with the remaining butter until it is crumbly, sprinkle over the pie filling.  Sprinkle the chopped pecans over the cake mix.  Cover and cook for 2-3 hours.    Serve warm, with whipped topping or very cold vanilla ice cream.

And the bonus.....

Fried Apples
2-3 green apples, peeled and sliced thinly
2 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons brown sugar
Dash of cinnamon (to taste)

Melt butter in non-stick fry pan, add peeled and thinly sliced apples and stir so that the slices are covered with butter, add the brown sugar and cinnamon.  Cover and simmer for 5-10 minutes, or until apples have softened.   Serve over vanilla ice cream.
 
 

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

TODAY'S QUESTION

What was the highlight of your week?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

FINAL THOUGHTS

I leave you with a quote from my cute little Quilted Hearts book.

Wash what's dirty.
Water what is dry.
Heal what is wounded.
Warm what is cold.
Guide what goes off the road.
Love those who are least lovable
because they need love the most.

Always be a little kinder than necessary.
                                                   ~ James M. Barrie


God bless and keep you, 
Sonia


My answer to the last question: the thing in my past I would like to change, is all the years I wasted denying God.

2 comments:

  1. wonderful final thoughts.. best memory this week.. helping in my son's preschool class. thanks for the recipes and the dryer sheet tip. will have to try those. hope you're feeling better!
    xo
    Kelli

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kelli... am feeling some better today. :)

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments. :)

Beauty of Giving

www.youravon.com/sparham