Monday, January 24, 2011

Heavy...

You know... I struggle every day with a battle between the Spirit and the flesh and there are times my heart gets heavy and I feel I'm not strong enough to keep going.   But then I receive an encouraging word from a friend, whether it be face to face or through an email or a blog post.  With that encouragement I am able to pick myself  back up, pull up on the boot straps and face the battle again.  I do this by the grace of God and only by His grace am I able to persevere.

Of late, my heart has been burdened with the weight of a collective whole.  How does one deal with a burden as heavy as this, I ask?   The answer came to me -  Pray for discernment.

so....

My thought for today:
I have prayed... I will wait and listen.  The heaviness is not mine to bear alone.

John 14:27 Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid


**************************************************

Recipe for today:
 When I post a recipe, I will be posting from a set of cookbooks titled Favorite Recipes of America, 
©Favorite Recipes Press, 1968 
PO Box 18324 
Louisville, KY

Since it's chilly outside I thought I'd start with a casserole dish.  This dish is easy and very tasty.  My options to the recipe are in parenthesis.

Texas Hash
3 large onions, thinly sliced
1 large green pepper, minced
3 tbsp. fat  ( I use olive oil )
1 lb. ground beef
2 c. cooked tomatoes ( I like to use diced stewed tomatoes)
1/2 c. uncooked rice
1 or 2 tsp. chili powder
2 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper

Saute onions and green pepper in fat (oil) until tender.  Add meat and brown until crumbly.  Stir in remaining ingredients.  Pour into greased 2-quart baking dish.  Cover and bake 45 minutes at 350°F.  Remove cover and bake 15 minutes longer.  Mixture may be simmered slowly on top of stove rather than baked.  
Yield: 6-8 servings.     recipe submitted by Mrs. Ann Hoit, Home Economics Teacher, Arlington, Tex.

**************************************************

 Do you have a recipe you would like to share?
If so, please submit it and I will post it with your name. :)

**************************************************

Final Thoughts:

How Do You Think
By Author Unknown 
 
If you think you are beaten, you are; If you think you dare not, you don't! If you'd like to win, but you think you can't, It's almost certain you won't. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 
  If you think you'll lose, you're lost; For out in the world we find Success begins with a fellow's will; It's all in the state of mind! 
  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~  
If you think you're outclassed, you are; You've got to think high to rise. You've got to be sure of yourself Before you 'll ever win the prize. 
  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~  
Life's battles don't always go To the stronger or faster man; But sooner or later the man who wins Is the person who thinks he can! 

  -- Author Unknown 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to your comments. :)

Beauty of Giving

www.youravon.com/sparham