Sunday, April 27, 2014

It's the little things that are precious...

It's the little things that are precious.  

I watched my daughter play a video game the other night and realized it won't be long and I won't be able to enjoy the "little things" that go on when your kids are home.  I know that I am going to miss my son and daughter playing their games, their guitars and drums, the camaraderie and banter they have with each other when they move out.
 

I know it is what is suppose to happen and I am excited for both of them.  They are on the verge of forging their own path and adventure.  They will live and learn.   But, that doesn't make it any easier for momma to deal with it.  In my daily prayers I ask God to give me the grace to deal with it and each day it is getting easier for me to come to terms with.

Yesterday was Audre's prom.  You remember in an earlier post, I wrote my church family is special to me.  One example of the love that is shared in my church family is my daughter's Sunday School teacher, Lichea.  She offered a few weeks ago, when Audre was telling her about the prom, to do Audre's hair and makeup.   Sure we could have done it, but it was nice of Lichea to do it for my daughter and she did a wonderful job.  I watched her as she worked and she truly enjoys doing things for others.  She has a loving heart  and loves the Lord and shows it in the way she lives.   I'm glad she is there for my daughter.  Lichea also has a special place in my heart because she led my daughter to the Lord.

Here's my girl all dressed up for prom.

I took pictures during the makeup and hair time with Lichea, but I promised Audre I would not post those on-line.

Those pictures, however, will go into a cute little scrapbook for her.  :)


While Audre was having her makeup and hair done, I was baking a chocolate cake.   Friday night I started wanting something sweet to eat, so Saturday morning I found a chocolate cake recipe and decided to make it.  This recipe does not call for buttermilk like a lot of recipes do.  It is from my cookbook, Taste of Home - The Best of Country Cooking, second edition.  The recipe was submitted by Betty Follas.

Classic Chocolate Cake

  • 2/3 cup butter or margarine, softened
  • 1-2/3 cups sugar
  • 3 eggs
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2/3 cup baking cocoa
  • 1-1/4 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1-1/3 cups milk
  • confectioners sugar or your favorite frosting (I used chocolate frosting)
In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar until fluffy.  Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.  Combine flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk beating until smooth after each addition.  Pour batter into a greased and floured 13"x 9" x 2" baking pan.  Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until cake tests done.  Cool on a wire rack.  When cake is cool dust with confectioners sugar or frost with your favorite frosting.  Yield: 12-15 servings.

Well, the sky is getting dark and thunder is beginning to roll, so I guess I better sign off.

Here's wishing you a wonderful week!

Hugs,
Sonia

4 comments:

  1. Hi Sonia, I rem. when my kids left home that my husband and I didn't know what to do just by ourselves, it is a big adjustment. I think that is why I cherish every moment with my grandbabies, because I know how fast they grow up. Your daughter looks lovely! You have a handsome son also, thanks for sharing the cake recipe. The taste of home cooking school is coming to my area in June, I am so excited. hugs, Lecia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lecia. :) I think it would be awesome to have the taste of home cooking school that close too.

      Delete
  2. We were empty nesters for almost a school year, then both boys moved back home, one for the summer, the other is still here, as he saves for his own apartment. Hope you are safe from the storms that went thru Ark. Please email me if you are ok, since I don't go back to posts I've already read. Too many blogs to keep up with to re-read posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cheryl, we made it fine through the storms in our area. My prayers go out to all that have suffered through them.

      Delete

I look forward to your comments. :)

Beauty of Giving

www.youravon.com/sparham