Sunday, July 20, 2014

Just catching up...

Hi, thought I'd write to catch you up on what's been going on.

Tonight, is the closing night of my vacation.  I sadly bid it adieu, as I prepare to go back to work tomorrow.

I have been able to accomplish quite a bit this past week and hope to have pictures to show you of the work I've done towards a sewing room.

I was able to catch up on sewing/quilting too and am happy to report I accomplished quite a bit on the Log Cabin quilt I have been working on.

Here's a pic to remind you what it looks like. It was laid out to be sewn into 7 sections.  I sewed all the sections and am happy to say I now have all the sections sewn together into one complete piece and am ready to add borders and finish the back.  Remember this is a "quilt as you go" quilt.


I also made curtains this week.  I made them for under $10.00.

How?

By using twin flat sheets.

I made measurements of the windows I needed to cover.  I used the top border of the sheets as the hems for the curtains.  I then took the bottom of the sheets and folded them 19" over the sheet.  Then marked 3" from the fold and sewed across the width of the sheet, this made a hem to above the curtain pocket.  Then I measure 4" from the sewn seam and sewed across the width of the sheet.  This created the pocket for the curtain rod to go through.  The remaining 12" of the sheet created the valance.  It is a very easy way to make curtains and on a budget too.  :)


Another thing I had time to do this week, was bead work.  Now understand I'm new at beading but I decided to make a bracelet as a gift for someone.   Here is how it turned out.


Then to round the week off nicely, I enjoyed the love and laughter of family.  The best part of my entire week though was talking to my son on the phone.  He is doing well, getting settled in at his new home, and sounds good.

That's it for now. Here's wishing you a wonderful week ahead!

Hugs,
Sonia



4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Hi Cheryl, thanks for stopping by. I was happy I accomplished what I did during that week. :)

      Delete
  2. I love your quilt and I am fascinated at the quilt as you go approach. I keep saying I am going to try it, but have not so far. I was looking through your blog to find the beginnings of this quilt but could not find it!! Keep us posted on the progress!! Your curtain is great and for under $10.00?? :-))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kris, thanks. If you try the quilt as you go, start with a simpler pattern than the log cabin. The log cabin isn't really hard, it's just that there are so many pieces. I hope to start on the borders this next week. The total cost of the curtains was under $10.00 as the twin sheets were only $4 and some change.

      Delete

I look forward to your comments. :)

Beauty of Giving

www.youravon.com/sparham