Friday, April 1, 2011

Don't you know...

On my Google home page, I have a link to “Useless knowledge” and every time I open the page a new bit of info shows up. This morning Ben Franklin was the topic.



"Benjamin Franklin was the proud owner of the very first bathtub in the colonies."

Something we take for granted was a luxury back then.

Don’t you know he was the talk of the town?

Imagine…

“Sarah, did you know Ben Franklin has a tub he bathes in?” Abigail asked as she swept the floor.

“Yes, Lucy told me he brought from France. She said the copper gleams like the sun when she cleans it.”

Abigail stopped sweeping and said “I think I would like to see it. Do you think…?”

“Abigail!”

“Well, you know Lucy would let us see it, if we asked. We would just have to wait for him to be out the house.”

Sarah shook her head, “Abigail your curiosity is going to get you in trouble one of these days.”

“Perhaps, but I can’t imagine not being curious. Admit it; you’d like to see it too.”

“Hmm… perhaps,” Sarah said, smiling.

“What else did Lucy tell you?”

“She also told me it was a chore to fill the thing every time he wants a bath. It seems ol’ Ben likes to soak.”

“Really,”

“Yes, she tells me he will sit in that tub for hours, reading or writing. She says he stays in there so long he gets all wrinkly.” She chuckled “that’s more information than I needed.”

“Oh my…” giggling Abigail continued, “I will wonder if he is wrinkled the next time I see, I’m sure.”

Laughing they continued with their chores. ~ Sonia R. Parham


**********************************************
Sherbet
This is the mug rug I made this evening.  
The colors remind me of sherbet, therefore the name. :)


*********************************************

A DIFFERENCE IN MY WEEK
 
On Sunday evening a challenge was given to everyone, at church, to begin each day asking God to show us His way and to guarantee His presence with us.

I wake most mornings with a gospel song going through my mind or I wake praying, thanking God for another day.   Often times, though I am rushed and don't get to spend the time I should in prayer and Bible study each day.  

This week I took the challenge and asked God each day to show me His way and to guarantee His presence, and though I know He is with me continually, praying these two things made a difference for me this week.

The most evident difference was the way I dealt with my job.   I am a Safety and Training Coordinator.   I have been at my place of work for 22 years and am majorly burned out.  Often times, my day starts out good but when I cross the threshold into the building, a dark cloud descends upon me.  

However, this week has been different. 

Starting out Monday, I prayed, "Father, show me Your ways, and guarantee Your presence with me" - I was able to show up to work with a better attitude and outlook.   

Later in the week, there was a very tense day.  

The tension was so thick you could cut it with a knife.   I had people come to me from all levels of the company - management, support groups and production, venting about the situation.  It was one of those cases where management is stressed and it trickles down through all the levels.  
But, again because I placed my day totally in my Father's hands, I was able to offer words of encouragement and not let the stress get to me.

So if you need a little help... Ask God.  Ask Him to show you His ways and to guarantee His presence in your life.  
The LORD is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer, my God, my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield, and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.  I call upon the LORD, who is worthy to be praised, and I am saved from my enemies.   Psalm 18:2-3

******************************************************

COUNTING DOWN THE HOURS

9 hours, 15 minutes.

That's how long it is until we leave for the Spring FabShop Hop in Arkansas.

Charlotte talked to one of the truckers at work today and discovered a faster route.  So, we can now leave at 7 a.m. instead of 6 a.m.  

 Praise the Lord for another hour of sleep!  :)   

I have my camera at the ready, so I hope to have some good pics to post when we get back.


******************************************************

IN CLOSING 

Have a wonderful weekend!!

God bless and keep you,
Sonia

6 comments:

  1. Have fun shopping. Your sherbet mug rug looks great. Isn't it nice that God will help us if we ask him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Joanna!

    And yes it is awesome we can count on Him through everything we go through. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have a wonderful weekend! enjoy :-) Love the bathtub story! LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Michele. I enjoyed the fabshop hop today but am exhausted. Will blog about it tomorrow. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not big on bathtubs, but don't take away my shower! I wonder how Ol' Ben would have liked a shower.

    Hope you enjoyed your weekend.

    Blessings,
    Susan :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Susan, funny... I bet Ol' Ben would have loved them. :)

    I did enjoy the shop hop. :)

    God bless and keep you,
    Sonia

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments. :)

Beauty of Giving

www.youravon.com/sparham