Monday, April 11, 2011

By Candle Light

5:00 a.m. - dead silence wakes me.

The electricity is out and the house is pitch black. 

My son and I wake up at the same time and open the doors to the hallway.  I'm afraid to move, for fear I'll run into him.  He flips his phone open and we have enough light to get to the lighter and the oil lamps.

It's very sultry feeling, with a light breeze blowing through the windows.  Lightning strikes and thunder rolls as I go through lighting the oil lamps so that we can get ready for the day.

I think about what it must have been like back in the day, when this type of lighting is all they had. 

Everything is so much more peaceful, without the hum of the fridge, fans, or other electronic devises.

I use my little book light to read my Bible and daily devotion. Back then, I would have had only the candle light.

Though it is muggy, it is nice to hear the raindrops outside the window and as the rain slows, to hear the birds singing the earth awake.  

Sweet serenity.


********************************************

 The Best Shop Hop Quilts are now posted on the Quilts tab.  
Please vote if you have not done so already.


********************************************

Projects this week...
Microsoft clip art

I will start back on my family tree this week.  

My dad asked about it today.  
I have been remiss in the endeavor and have let it slide to the back burner.  

Microsoft clip art
So, I will begin again, picking up where I left off.  
 
I believe I left off around the Revolutionary War.  





******************************************

In Closing...

God is not the author of confusion but of peace.  1Corinthians 14:33


God bless and keep you,
Sonia


3 comments:

  1. Love this post! Beautiful writing :-) isn't it fun to imagine what it must have been like years ago?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sonia -

    This post jogged loose a long-forgotten (I thought) memory.

    As a kid, candleholders and anything old fashioned grabbed my attention. I wanted to know what it was like in the "olden days."

    Hmm, maybe I should write a historical novel. :)

    Blessings,
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michele and Susan, thanks for stopping by and yes I get into historical information and stories. :) I would like to be in a historical interpretation job. :)

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments. :)

Beauty of Giving

www.youravon.com/sparham